ARTE 532/432 Studio Art in the Schools: Digital Arts
Course Description: This course explores the use of technology to enhance teaching art for both the elementary and secondary levels. Students will learn to use the computer as a creative tool through simple digital editing software programs including Photoshop Elements and iMovie specific to Apple computers. Students will demonstrate competence with using both Photoshop to create a digital collage and using iMovie to create a full motion movie for use as supplemental instructional tools.
Methods of Instruction: Projected tutorials, PowerPoint presentations, class discussions, studio work, and rubric assessment.
Students can expect to –
1. Become proficient with using a digital still camera and a digital video camcorder.
2. Become proficient with using selected tools in Photoshop Elements, a graphic editor.
3. Explore the artistic potential of a digital collage that references identity, the landscape, and the southwest.
4. Become proficient with creating, importing and editing video clips and sound to create a film using iMoive software.
5. Explore the teaching potential of iMovie as a tool for instruction.
6. Become proficient with creating a PowerPoint Presentation of a studio technique.
7. Become proficient creating a website using Google Sites free program.
|Digital collage – 1 for undergrads, 2 for grads
|iMovie of poem
Brundage, B. (2011). Photoshop Elements 9.0 for Mac. Sebastopol, CA: Pogue/O’Reilly
Pogue, D. (2011). iMovie 11 & iDVD. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media